This is another one of those versatile recipes that you can make with anything. I have used everything in it from protein powder to Craisins to almond butter. It’s a great idea to make this on the weekend and just heat it up during the week for breakfast. And go crazy! Worst comes to worst, you don’t do it again. You can make just the oatmeal plain as a base and add new things in every day if you want as well, just omit the cinnamon and vanilla in the recipe (although so far that has been my favorite thing. I’m just saying.).
I like steel cut oats so much better than regular ones. They are chewy and hearty and have a real flavor to them rather than just… paste. That’s how the regular ones are to me. Pasty. Not fun.
I don’t know why, but lately I have been obsessed with Craisins in my cereal, and dark chocolate covered cranberries as my smuggled into the movie sweet treat to go with my popcorn. As an aside, make sure you get a kid’s meal at the movies. Just the right amount of popcorn and a taste of soda. I love it.
I used whole milk this time for the creaminess. It has made a world of difference and I wouldn’t go back to just plain water. I think 2% might be just as nice, but with only 2 cups of milk for 5+ days worth of oatmeal, and all the good fats and protein that comes with using fresh whole milk, I don’t see why you wouldn’t enjoy it.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups liquid (I did 2 cups water and 2 cups milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- handful of Craisins
- Bring the water and milk to a boil and add in the oats and sugar
- Let it cook for about 30 minutes or until the oats have soaked up most of the liquid.
- Add in the vanilla and cinnamon, stir, and continue to cook until it is absorbed. It won’t be 100% absorbed but it will be close.
- Throw in the Craisins or raisins or whatever you want
- When you take it out to eat it, you can add in almond butter, protein powder, chia seeds or whatever healthiness you want. Or just eat it the way it is like I do.