Turkey Cheeseburgers with Grilled Green Onions”
- 1.25 lbs. ground turkey 97/3
- 4 light hamburger buns
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheese
- seasonings of your choice
- green onions (1 bunch)
- ketchup, mustard, onions, pickles (optional)
- fat-free mayo
1. Position the oven rack to the 2nd to top level. Turn on your broiler.
2. Remove turkey from packaging and place in a medium size bowl. Mix in the seasonings of your choice and 3 stalks of chopped green onions. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Divide into 4 flat round patties (they’ll shrink as they cook).
4. Place your oven-safe cast-iron skillet on the stove and turn it to high. Spray with cooking spray or olive oil.
5. When the skillet is hot enough, place the 4 patties on the skillet and don’t move around. Check them underneath, are they toasty brown? Flip them and….Stick them in the oven.
6. In the mean time, take a skinny piece of foil and lay the rest of the green onions on it. Spray it or coat in olive oil, salt and pepper. Toast your buns and cut your tomatoes and lettuce. Get out your condiments.
7. Once the turkey looks browned on top, open the oven and top with cheese. Close the oven again and let the cheese melt (should take no more than a minute or two). Watch closely or it will melt off your burgers.
8. Now the burgers are done, so take them out of the oven and set aside. Don’t worry, they will stay plenty hot in the 4-5 minutes you have left of cooking.
9. Immediatley put the green onions under the broiler and watch as they brown. Keep your eye on them or they will burn!
10. When they’re ready, assemble your burger however you want. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers points for light bun, turkey patty, fat-free mayo, easy ketchup & mustard, green onions, lettuce and 1/4 cup of light shredded cheddar = 9 points. A regular bun adds two points.