I was perusing my recipe binders this week when I came across this recipe I printed years and years ago and have never tried. It is probably from a cooking light recipe way back in the day that I actually used to type up from the magazine. Apparently I had time on my hands.
Lentils are one of my favorite legumes and there is this one place in New York City that every time I go I get their warm lentil salad. It is amazing and next time i’m in town i’m going to write the flavors down instantly so I can try to re-create it at home.
Until that day, I bring you this bit of deliciousness.
I used a crock pot since that is my favorite kitchen appliance these days. However, the recipe does call for stove top and probably it would be a pretty quick dish. Maybe an hour start to finish. It also makes a TON of food, so feel free to reduce the amount of lentils. Just remember the 3:1 ratio of liquid to lentils.
I also kept forgetting the Chorizo at the store and had to go back out a few times. The last time, those evil girl scouts were at the door with their cookies and their cute little faces asking you to buy cookies. I gave in. God bless Samoas.
Hmmm… maybe i’ll try to make a homemade samoa.
Spicy Lentils with Chorizo
- Olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled chorizo
- 1/2 cup carrot, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add liquid, bay leaf and lentils to a crock pot on high.
- While those are going, saute up the onion, garlic and bell pepper with the olive oil. Dump it all into the lentils.
- Add in the carrots and potatoes. Cover and let work on high for about 4 hours.
- Put the chorizo into a pan and cook it through. Add the chorizo to the lentils and cook all the moisture has been absorbed by the lentils.