Two dessert posts in a row… what is happening? Well i’ll tell you.
We’ve got some interesting stuff happening behind the scenes here. First, Nuria’s camera was damaged on her trip to Mexico so she’s been stuck without a camera.
Second, and what’s exciting, is that we’re looking into moving! We want to set up our own website, as we’re running out of room here on the free wordpress site. We’ll keep you updated as we move further along, but for now, let’s talk blondies.
I think it’s really more of an east coast treat. People on the west coast tend to look at me funny when I say i’m bringing blondies to the party. I think they’re waiting for the punch line.
A blondie is basically a brownie without chocolate. Or, maybe a chocolate chip cookie in bar form? Whatever it is, it’s delicious.
I have been looking for the perfect blondie recipe for years, and when I was living in NYC I heard about this little dessert spot in Brooklyn that was all the rage. I went out to try it and was hooked.
It’s called Baked and the second they had a cookbook out I bought it. Their chocolate chip cookie recipe and blondie recipes are two of my go-tos. I also love their cheddar biscuits.
Their second cookbook has a homemade oreo that has been the hit of many a party I have gone to, and I don’t think I can say enough about the black and white cookies. I love those things.
Their blondie recipe uses malted milk powder as the little something different that makes it so much better.
I twisted it up this time with some leftover M&Ms from the princess party we had last weekend.
Bake it on up and eat the deliciousness. Also, nevermind that little corner that maybe I was too excited about eating to remember to take a picture before I took a square. Luckily I remembered before taking a big ‘ol bite.
Or maybe I took the bite from the underside so you wouldn’t see it. I guess we’ll never know.
Adapted from the Baked Cookbook
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder (like Ovaltine)
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 3/4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4cup M&Ms
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter a 9×13 pan
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, salt and malted milk powder
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar
- Add in the eggs one at a time, letting each egg get fully incorporated before you add in the next egg.
- Add in the vanilla; mix to combine then scrape down sides and bottom and mix again
- Add in the dry ingredients: 1/2 of dry, mix, second 1/2 of dry, mix until just incorporated
- Add in chocolate chips and M&Ms. Mix for a second until incorporated.
- Spread into your 9×13 pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool and eat.
- For a special treat, head it up for 10-15 seconds in the microwave and add ice cream.