I have had so many good cheese dips, that just talking about cheese dips brings me to tears. Queso fundido is my favorite variation of a cheese dip because it’s got just the right amount of spice, it’s not too salty and it’s not yellow. I only love yellow cheese sauce when we’re talking about nachos and philly cheesesteaks. I never realized how easy it is to make a queso fundido until today. I think I had the whole thing made in less than 10 minutes, but you have to start by leaving out your cream cheese so it’s at room temperature. I think you will love this recipe because a) it requires ingredients that are sold at all grocery stores, b) it is easy to make and c) it is quick to make….and d) it’s absolutely delicious.
- 1 pack of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 pack of 1/3 reduced fat Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1 poblano pepper
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 cup of milk (plus extra set aside)
- Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles can
- green onions (optional; I decided not to use)
1. First, you need to make a roux, which is essentially the mix that will keep your queso thick. Grab a large saute pan and turn the heat to medium. Put in your butter and flour and stir around. Add the milk. It should start to thicken before your eyes. Throw in your chopped poblanos.
2. Next, add your room temperature cream cheese. Stir it in. It should just fall apart because it’s been at room temperature.
3. Once the cream cheese has thickened up the whole mix, throw in the whole bag of Mexican cheese blend.
4. Now strain your can of Rotel, and throw it on top. Take a large spoon and mix it all up.
5. Now, your mix will seem extremely thick and you’ll be saying to yourself, “What the hell? This doesn’t look right.” OH BUT WAITTT… remember that extra milk you have laying around? Throw some in, 1/4 cup at a time. Stir. Stir. Stir. Eventually, you will keep stirring and you will see it become a creamy cheesy mix. Excellence will be acheived when you can dip a chip in it and the sauce will both stick to the chip and drip off slowly. YUUUMMMMMMM.